Marin County Fair Announces New Fair Competitions for the 2012
San Rafael, CA (April 2, 2012) - The 67th annual Marin County Fair will be held Saturday, June 30 through Wednesday, July 4. Themed Always Fresh, Fun & Local, the 2012 edition will be a five day community + agricultural celebration!
The very first Marin County Fair took place in 1946 with the goal to provide a place where Marinites could share ideas and techniques in fine arts, gardens, fruits, vegetables and flower arrangements. Competitions were developed over the years in a variety of categories to determine which entries were the best in Marin. The Fair now features over 800 categories, over 13,000 exhibits and over 6,000 annual entrants from Marin County, San Francisco Bay Area and throughout California.
With the same pioneering spirit, the Marin County Fair continues to host unique and nationally renowned competitions showcasing a variety of industries, including those that extend far beyond traditional fair exhibits in agriculture. Thousands of awards are bestowed annually in categories such as fine arts, culinary, youth, technology and more.
Highlights of New 2012 competitions include:
· Celebrating Local Agriculture: Photography and fine art entries depicting ranches or farms, farm animals, farm work or products produced in Sonoma or Marin Counties.
· Scarecrows: Create a Scarecrow, traditional or contemporary, miniature or life-size – be creative!
· Blue Jeans Art: Create a wearable piece of art using a pair of old or new blue jeans. You may use paint, embroidery, beads, or any combination of materials. You also may create something new (purses, shopping bags, garments, etc.) out of recycled jeans.
· Design a Chicken Coop: Design and construct a chicken coop using any materials. Include nesting boxes, wire-enclosed run, nesting bar, ramp and door.
· Barnyard Banter: Cow Mooing, Rooster Crowing, Chicken Calling, Turkey Calling and Hog Calling contests. Sharpen your ability to successfully imitate the sounds made by these animals! Contests will be held daily in the Clover Stornetta Farm.
· Cheesemaking and Flavored Butters: Any type of homemade cheese (soft or hard) or flavored butter may be entered. Butters may be homemade or flavored commercially made butters.
· Origami: Create art using traditional Japanese techniques of paper folding. Special prizes will be awarded for origami depicting barnyard animals.
· Capturing Memories – One Day Digital Photography: Taken on Opening Day, Saturday, June 30, these county fair images will be juried and displayed on July 1, 2, 3, 4, at the fair.
· Plus: From Trash to Treasure; Creative Writing, Art Chairs, Special Culinary Contests and Decorated Barnyard Cookies.
The 2012 Exhibitor’s Guide is now posted online at www.marinfair.org or printed copies are available through the Fair office by calling 415.473.6400.
For more information about the Competitive Exhibit programs, email Charlie Barboni, Exhibits Supervisor, at email@example.com or call 415.473.7048.
# # # # #